So you are wondering, why you should not just use Prepaid SIM cards in Iceland and why not just use my mobile provider’s roaming contract?
Icelandic Prepaid SIM Cards:
Are cheap for those who use small amount of data and only need a wifi for one person. You loose your own mobile number and you need to tank up (not unlimited). Does not work on Carrier-locked phones.
Good to know about SIM Cards
The SIM cards in the packages that are available comes with trio card option. You can break them into the the size you need for your phone.
With the new roam rules in the EU and US, many carriers are offering “affordable” travel packages that you can add to your plan, it may not be necessary to buy an Icelandic SIM card anymore. Please check with your carrier at home before you buy a new SIM card.
Where to buy prepaid SIM Cards?
Some airlines, like Icelandair, sell Icelandic prepaid SIM cards on the plane. Another easy option is buying the Icelandic prepaid SIM card at the duty-free store at Keflavík International Airport. If you want to buy a prepaid Icelandic SIM card when you are in the capital, it is best to head to one of the two big shopping malls.
Trawire.com and Hotspot.rent modems:
Let’s talk about our modems. What are the pros and cons of our renting modems?
– Unlimited and fresh Icelandic data
– Local network & best coverage
– Local support if something comes up
– Pickup & Return at Airport
– No throttling
– Works for up to 10 devices (also laptops & tablets)
– No Contract to worry about
– No SIM swap (you keep your number). Yo will receive emergency SMS’s.
– We reuse the return box as many time we can (less paper usage)
– You need to preorder (or not see www.hotspot.rent)
– Extra device to carry around
– Needs to be charged
– Does not work for many if they are far apart from each other (outside WiFi range)
– Iceland only